You are here
Error messageThe MailChimp PHP library is missing the required GuzzleHttp library. Please check the installation notes in README.txt.
Warning messageThe subscription service is currently unavailable. Please try again later.
The office in the occupied Palestinian territory has responsibility for inter-agency coordination in complex emergencies and in natural disasters. In the context of the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the occupied Palestinian territory, the OCHA Office has a specific responsibility for (a) disseminating information and policies to the humanitarian community, authorities and donors, as well as supporting resource mobilization efforts; (b) assisting in the identification of humanitarian priorities and needs and the coordination of resource mobilization efforts; and (c) disseminating information on the impact of natural disasters, response there to and the need for international assistance/
In order to meet the increased requirements for coordination support, humanitarian advocacy and information, the OCHA office in the occupied Palestinian territory has expanded its presence. Through its expanded presence in the field and Jerusalem, the OCHA oPt team will ensure adequate support to area-based operational coordination structures, sectoral coordination in priority areas such as health and food security etc, and nation level coordination, both operational and policy.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Head of Office, the Executive Associate to OCHA oPt ensures effective and efficient functioning of the OCHA oPt office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
The Executive Associate to UN OCHA works in close collaboration with Front office and Operations Team in addition to UNDP staff, UN Agencies and national authorities to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Acts as Executive Assistant to Head of Office
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the OCHA oPt office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
1. Acts as Executive Assistant to Head of Office
- Arrange for appointments and maintenance of the Head of Office’s calendar.
- Arrange meeting with high-ranking officials, organize and prepare background material for meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of OCHA oPt for the Head of Office’s signature and making follow-up when required.
- Liaise with Administration on Heads of office’s travel plans and prepare the security clearance requests.
- Coordination and liaison between Head of Office and Heads of Units.
- Perform any other duties as may be required.
2. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the OCHA oPt office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of protocol procedures.
- Preparation of high quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions.
- Assemble and maintain strategic coordination data and minute taking for the Head of Office and OCHA oPt meetings.
- Preparation of informal translations.
- Management of OCHA oPt missions and representation schedule.
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, update names, addresses and telephone numbers of UN agencies, NGO’s, ministers, government officials and members of the diplomatic corps.
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the OCHA oPt office.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to OCHA oPt.
3. Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, ensuring a smooth flow of relevant information between units, between the main OCHA office and the field offices as well as with the main constituencies (INGOs, NGOs, donors, UNCT). Provide necessary information and file them accordingly.
- Facilitation and organization of information sharing between the Humanitarian Country Team and OCHA.
- Preparation for Donor Briefings, send invitations and follow up in a timely manner.
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues.
- Demonstrates commitment to OCHA’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of OCHA oPt office, including data/ schedule management, maintenance of protocol, information flow.
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training. University Degree or equivalent would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
5 to 7 years of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web based management systems
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 27 March 2017
Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Women are encouraged to apply